apartment search & book

Sightseeing

Erlangen, the Huguenot town located in the heart of the Nuremberg Metropolitan Region, provides a lot to its visitors. Student flair, traditions which are still very much alive, and an open-minded atmosphere are only a few attributes which make Erlangen so liveable and loveable.

Burgberg

“Burgberg“ Hill

A 332 metres high sandstone hill which houses beer cellars since 1675.
Bibelgarten

Bible Garden

A small oasis located in the heart of the town centre.
Botanischer Garten

Botanical Garden

Established in 1747 for the university.
Schloss

Castle "Markgrafenschloss"

Between 1700 and 1704, the "Markgrafenschloss" was built in Baroque style.
Hugenottenkirche

Huguenot Church (Protestant reformist church)

The Huguenot Church in Erlangen was the first Huguenot church outside France.
Kunstmuseum - Außenansicht

Loewenich Palais

Built in the middle of the 18th century in baroque style, owned by the Loewenich Family.
Markgrafentheater Erlangen Das Markgrafentheater gilt als das �lteste bespielte Barocktheater S�ddeutschlands.

Margrave Theatre and Grand Ballroom

It is the oldest working baroque theatre in southern Germany and was built between 1715 and 1719.
Schlossplatz_Erlangen.jpg

Market / Castle Square

Today‘s Castle and Market Square formed the „Grande Place“ in the 1986 plans for Erlangen New Town.
Neustädter Kirche

New Town or University Church (Protestant Lutheran)

Built by Wenzel Perner between 1725 and 1737.          
Alte Universitätsbibliothek

Old and New University Library

The university library provides a total of over 5 million books.
Stadtmuseum Erlangen Au�enansicht des Stadtmuseums Erlangen

Old Town Hall

Former location of the Erlangen City Council, until the merge of the new and the old town in 1812.  
Altstaedter Kirchenplatz © Erlanger Tourismus Sabine Ismaier

Old Town or Trinity Church (Protestant Lutheran)

The current baroque building (1709-1721) was built to plans by Wenzel Perner.  
orangerie_schlossgarten-erlangen--etm-thomas-dettweiler-5

Orangery

Built in 1705 by Gottfried von Gedeler.
Palais Stutterheim

Palais Stutterheim

The Palais Stutterheim was built bewteen 1728 and 1730 for district administrative official Christian Hieronymus von Stutterheim.
Stadtblick Erlangen

Remains of the old city walls

These are the last remains of the medieval city walls.
Herz Jesu Kirche

Sacred Heart Church (Roman Catholic)

The Catholic parish was the first to be established in Protestant Erlangen after the Reformation.
Schlossgarten mit Hugenottenbrunnen

Schlossgarten

The baroque park complex was heavily influenced by Versailles in certain features.
Heinrich-Kirchner-Skulpturengarten

Sculpture garden Heinrich Kirchner

Seventeen large pieces by the Erlangen sculptor Heinrich Kirchner are exhibited up there.             ...
Stadtblick Erlangen

Sockmakers‘ Houses (Holzgartenstrasse)

The houses date back to 1720 and 1740. As well as the traditions of felt hat and glove making, the Huguenots also brought sockmakers to Erlangen, and ...
Martinskirche

St. Martins Church

The core of the church is Gothic, but it was redesigned in the baroque style in the 18th century.           ...
Rathaus Erlangen

Town Hall

Built in 1969–72 by Harald Loebermann and renovated from 2002 to 2006.
Wasserturm

Water tower

Built in 1705 to provide water for the Margraves’ waterworks in the Orangery and the Castle Garden.